Woohoo! I made this for dinner yesterday and it was SO good and definitely hCG-approved.
GARLIC ROAST BEEF
8 lg. cloves garlic, unpeeled (I didn't do this step this time... not a big fan of chunks of garlic)
1 top sirloin roast (4lbs)
3 lg. cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2tsp. table salt
12 lg. cloves garlic, peeled, cloves cut in half lengthwise
2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried thyme)
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 C olive oil
ground black pepper
1 can beef broth
1 C chicken broth
1. For the beef: Toast unpeeled cloves in small skillet over med-hi heat, tossing frequently, until spotty brown, about 8 min. Set aside. When cool enough to handle, peel cloves and cut into 1/4in slivers.
2. Using paring knife, make 1-in deep slits all over roast. Insert toasted garlic into slits.
3. For the garlic-salt rub: Mix minced garlic, thyme, and salt together (I added pepper here also) in small bowl. Rub all over meat. Place roast on large plate and refrigerate, at least 4hrs or overnight.
4. For the garlic paste: Heat halved garlic cloves, thyme, bay leaves, salt and oil in small saucepan over med-hi heat until bubbles start to rise to surface. Reduce heat to low and cook until garlic is soft, about 30 min. Cool completely. Strain, reserving oil. Discard herbs and transfer garlic to small bowl. Mash garlic with 1TBS garlic oil until paste forms. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Cover and reserve garlic oil.
5. Adjust oven rack to middle position, place nonstick roasting pan or broiler pan bottom on rack, and heat over to 450. Using paper towels, wipe garlic-salt rub off beef. Rub beef with 2TBS garlic oil and season with pepper. Transfer meat, fat side down(my roast didn't have any fat), to preheated pan and roast, turning as needed until browned on all sides, 10-15min.
6. Reduce oven temp. to 300. Remove pan from oven. Turn roast fat side up and coat top with garlic paste. Return meat to oven and roast until internal temp reaches 125(for rare; I left mine in until 155 and it was a PERFECT Med-well), about 50-70 min. Transfer roast to cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 20min.
7. For the Jus: Drain excess fat from roasting pan and place over high heat. Add broths and bring to boil, using wooden spoon to scrape browned bits from bottom of pan. Simmer, stirring, until reduced to 2C. Add accumulated juices from roast and cook 1min. Slice roast crosswise against grain into 1/4in slices.
**I added two large sliced (1/4in slices) onions sprinkled with salt, pepper and tarragon to the pan when the temp came down to 300. Could also use Fennel with salt and pepper.
For the non-hCG dieter: great with side of mashed potatoes and/or carrots/fennel/celery.