Pages

Loss so far

Ticker Zone Ticker

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Keeping Holiday foods in check...

Most people gain around 10lbs during the holidays, hence the #1 New Year's Resolution: Lose Weight.
This year, however, I LOST 5lbs during the holidays! How? Well... I'm really not sure, but I have a few ideas.

Thanksgiving, for starters, wasn't a good day for me to begin with. It was pretty rough and food was the last thing on my mind. Once things settled a bit, I snacked on a veggie plate I created. During dinner our son was very squirmy, and I didn't get to eat much (which is totally fine!). We didn't have rolls, which I usually have 3 or 4 dowsed in gravy... yumm!! That was ok too! I kept my dinner to one small plate of mashed potatoes, turkey and stuffing... and I didn't have seconds, only a piece of pie later. That's it.
When we got home, I went and bought items to make our own Turkey dinner and made my FIRST ever Turkey... soo yummy!! But after that we were so busy packing and moving that my husband actually had to stop me and make me eat something. I didn't even eat leftovers of that yummy meal much.
Once we got moved in we didn't want to go grocery shopping so we ate out quite a bit (BAD I know!) and my stomach didn't appreciate that very much.

Then came Christmas Eve. I made a super delicious Prime Rib and Dutch Oven Potatoes. That was the one meal of the holidays that I actually stuffed myself with. I LOVE love love Prime Rib!
Christmas Day we drove to my mom's for dinner and once again I didn't really eat a lot of the yummy Turkey dinner. We also have a cheese ball, shrimp, veggies, sausage/cheese/crackers, pie, cookies, candies, etc during Christmas and my mom did not slip up at all! It was all there... and it was all delicious. But for some reason, I just had no desire for it. I even made my own cheese ball earlier in the week and couldn't eat it, and mine was no where NEAR as good as my mom's (she puts nuts around hers). I did finish off her shrimp and ate a lot of veggies, oh and pie! I really wanted pumpkin and apple pie this year.

The week between Christmas and New Years, we had some friends come over and we vegged on corn dogs, taquitos, chips and salsa, veggies, and shrimp. It was a great time. I also made a 7layer dip in one of those disposable 9x9 cake pans, in which we did a good job of destroying half of it that night! Well... the next day I disposed of the rest of it by my lonesome (sooo yummy!).

For New Years we went back to my mom's and I brought a veggie tray and another 7 layer dip (in which I ate almost half before anyone else arrived, luckily J.Jr. brought a larger one with him!). Rather than having a dinner, we just vegged again. We had hot wings, corn dogs, taquitos, chips salsa and guac, sausage cheese and crackers, a cheese ball, veggies, cookies, candy, pie... soooo much good stuff! But once again I stuck with the dip and taquitos and veggies.... oh and pie!

A few days later I weight myself for the first time in at least a month... no, probably closer to two months... and I had lost 5lbs!

So if I can give any advice on holiday eating... instead of snacking on cookies and candy, snack on some yummy veggies and be careful with everything else!

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

I'm impressed. You are well on your way to losing weight if you can make it through the holidays and not gain anything let alone lose some. My goal was to drop some baby weight during the holidays instead of gain, but that didn't happen. Thank heavens I didn't gain the whole ten pounds. That makes me feel better. Keep up the good work.